Camden NSW, Former Gasworks Remediation
Rare Environmental were seconded to Liberty Industrial Pty Ltd to provide Project and Environmental Management services for the remediation works enabling the future redevelopment of the former Camden High School Site located in Camden NSW.
Remediation works were required to remove legacy contamination from the former Camden Gasworks which operated on the site between 1911 and 1974. Following the closure of the gasworks, the site was incorporated into the grounds of Camden High School which utilised the site until 2001. The site has remained vacant since the closure of the school. Investigations of the site identified elevated concentration of contaminants associated with gasworks waste. Limited remediation works were conducted in 1997 which involved the construction of a containment cell and placement of contaminated material.
Remediation works undertaken during this stage of works negated the prior need for ongoing management of the contamination on the site and enabled the land to be suitable for future development.
- Preparation of site management plans including Remediation Works Plan (RWP), Traffic Management Plan (TMP), Quality Safety and Environmental Management Plans;
- Preparation of Asbestos Removal Control Plan (ARCP)
- Provision of dilapidation surveys and reporting on neighbours properties
- Completion of service location activities and excavation permit procedures
- Site Establishment including site security, amenities and Health Safety and Environmental Controls (HSE)
- Grub and removal of tree stumps and toots, including obtaining tree removal permits
- Installation of a temporary shoring system 4 mbgl to enable excavation along site boundaries
- Construction of a 3,250m2 Odour Control Enclosure (OCE) that enabled excavation and stockpiling of gasworks impacted materials
- Installation of a purpose built Emission Control System (ECS) which created a negative pressure atmosphere within the OCE by drawing air through and removing all nuisance odours prior to discharge into the external environment